Work with Podium RVA!
Title: Program Lead (Seasonal Summer)
Job Classification: Programming
Location: Richmond, VA
Part/Full Time: Part Time
Podium RVA Mission: To empower youth, ages 11-19, in Greater Richmond and the Tri-Cities with the skills to become confident and capable writers, communicators, and leaders to succeed in school, career, and in life. Youth build their confidence while improving their academic and professional communication skills in weekly workshops, quarterly publications, and annual showcase events.
Position Description: The Program Lead is responsible for hosting weekly daytime programs during the summer at local schools and youth development centers across Richmond and the Tri-Cities. Our programs are designed to use writing as a tool for healing, personal development, and academic growth. The Program Lead will prepare necessary resources for workshop facilitation and will oversee leading educational groups for middle and high school youth. Program Leads must be comfortable leading groups ranging from 4 – 25 youth and delegating group management responsibilities to program volunteers and/or interns assisting them. This person is also responsible for daily reporting and attendance of all programs facilitated as well as positive parent report calls home.
- Creative/academic writing and critical thinking skills
- Excellent written and oral communication
- An ability to work as a team and to lead pairs/small groups of volunteers
- Applicants must have reliable transportation to and from all assigned programs. This position requires weekly travel across Greater Richmond and the Tri-Cities. Gas reimbursement available for team drivers to programs.
- Required: minimum 1-year previous experience mentoring or working with youth
The majority of our programs take place in historically under-resourced communities, and at Podium we believe in centering the voices of the communities we serve. We understand that representation matters, and we strongly encourage BIPOC candidates to apply.
Expected Hours of Work: 2-month summer position, Late June – Early August, with the option to continue during the school year.
- 20 - 30 hours a week, typically scheduled between 8:30 – 4:30pm, Mon – Thurs.
- Due to the nature of programming and events, some evening and weekend hours are required.
- Guaranteed time off: Richmond Public School and Federal Holidays; time requested off 2 weeks in advance.
- Podium youth deserve dependable mentors: Program Leads must commit to the entirety of this position and to scheduling time off outside of program facilitation responsibilities.
How to apply: Send resume, cover letter, and list of 2 references by 11:59pm on Friday June 2, 2023
- Podium RVA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employees and applicants will be treated without regard to age, sex, color, religion, race, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identification, marital or familial status, physical or mental disability, legal source of income, or any other status protected by law. Note: Criminal background check (state, child abuse and neglect registry, sexual offender registry), TB Test, and abiding by partner COVID policies are required for employment.